i love love...day 10

Bobby & Amy, married 8 years

Bobby and I will have been married 9 years in September, and we dated 6 years before that, starting when we were 15. I could tell so many stories and write so many words to say what Bobby means to me. I literally don’t know who I would be without him. A few months ago, when the Chino Family left for Scotland, I made them a playlist of “Scotland Jams” (you really would be surprised how many great artists are at least loosely connected to Scotland!). It ended up being all classic rock. I made a playlist for Bobby on our anniversary last year of some of the songs that are sentimental to us and have meant something over the years. I made it on his computer under his spotify account but, knowing that Bobby would rarely choose through his own free will to listen to classic rock, I felt safe naming the playlist “Scotland.” Sure enough, he never touched it. I thought sharing some of these songs with you would give you a glimpse into us, Bobbo Baggins and Ame-bo Bright.

When You Say Nothing At All – Alison Krauss. In 9th grade, Bobby and I were best friends. I heard this song on the radio one night and thought of Bobby and that was the beginning of me liking him.

Angel – Aerosmith. This song never gets old. I remember memorizing the lyrics with the liner notes of my cassette tape. We both loved it before we liked each other, but when he played it for me on our first date in 10thgrade, I knew he had it bad for me.

Dreams – The Cranberries. On that same first date, this song came on and we held hands for the first time. Now I knew I had it bad for him.

Storybook Love – Mark Knopfler for Princess Bride. New Year’s Eve in 10th grade was technically our first kiss. But I remember this one too.

Romeo & Juliet – Dire StraitsMy parents must’ve thought I was crazy. I wanted to be an astronaut and I used to go out and look at the stars before bed. One time, Bobby drove over and we sat on the back of my dad’s Mazda Protégé and he read me a poem he had written for me. He said he was Romeo and I was Juliet and talked about tidal waves and from then on we loved everything that had to do with Romeo & Juliet. And come on, this song is awesome. I tried my hand at poetry listening to Enya but that never really worked out for me.

Thinking About You – Radiohead. Ok, so the lyrics are a little weird but I used to listen to it when we went to our separate houses because I already missed him.

I’m skipping a few songs that are great songs (Dido, Phil Collins, Sarah McLachlan, etc.) but they would probably make you a little uncomfortable and may give you the wrong idea, so we’ll pick back up here.

The Promise – Tracy Chapman.  Bobby and I didn’t go to the same college our freshman year, we didn’t even apply to the same schools. Somehow we knew that we needed to be apart but also needed to stay together as a couple. So we did. And this was our song.

The One I Love – David Gray. This was another one from freshman year because I missed him. I transferred to Northwestern, where he was, sophomore year.

Oh Darlin’ – The Beatles. Ok, so this one isn’t actually on the list because spotify didn’t have it but we danced to it at our wedding so I thought it was appropriate. So what if there may or may not have been an awkwardly long bridge of Paul basically yelling. I’m sure no one noticed.

In Spite of Ourselves – John Prine & Iris DeMent. This is our “we’ve-been-together-forever-know-too-much-about-each-other-love-you-anyway” love song. If you catch us in the right moment, we may sing you our version.

Amy - 

I know you didn't grow up on Adventure's in Babysitting like I did.  To be honest, I probably shouldn't have been watching it at the age I was watching it, either.    Regardless, there's this scene at the end that always makes me think of you.  And of us.

There's the kind-hearted, good-natured, just-enough-wild, girl-next-door babysitter.  She's been through one whirlwind of a day.  And she did it with all with the impish grin and grace of Mary Poppins.

And then there's the nice guy.  Pulling up to the house at the end of a long night.  And he gets out of his navy blue Jeep Renegade.  And walks up to the babysitter.  And one of the kids pops out of the window upstairs and shouts, "Kiss him!"

And then, in perfect rhythm, that song sweeps in.  The one by The Crystals.  That little guitar hook that loops around in sweet circles.  The swishing tambourines and the hollow-bodied drums and, man oh man, the voices of 1960s-girl-group angels.  

And then, those words.  

And then he kissed me.

And then there's a kiss on screen.  And then our story off of it.

And if you turn that song on, and you tune and turn your ear just right, you can hear it all.  In all it's glory.  

It's you.  And it's me.  And it's us.  And, babe, we never sounded better.

Well, he walked up to me and he asked me if I wanted to dance.
He looked kinda nice and so I said I might take a chance.
When he danced he held me tight
And when he walked me home that night
All the stars were shining bright
And then he kissed me.

Each time I saw him I couldn't wait to see him again.
I wanted to let him know that he was more than a friend.
I didn't know just what to do
So I whispered I love you
And he said that he loved me too
And then he kissed me.

He kissed me in a way that I've never been kissed before,
He kissed me in a way that I wanna be kissed forever more.

I knew that he was mine so I gave him all the love that I had
And one day he took me home to meet his mom and his dad.
Then he asked me to be his bride
And always be right by his side.
I felt so happy I almost cried
And then he kissed me.

Then he asked me to be his bride
And always be right by his side.
I felt so happy I almost cried
And then he kissed me.
And then he kissed me.
And then he kissed me

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...